2000 - 2003 Toyota MR2
The Toyota MR2 is a sports car that was produced by the Japanese automaker Toyota from 1984 to 2007. It is a two-seater, mid-engined rear-wheel drive car that was available in both coupe and convertible body styles.
The MR2 is known for its distinctive and sleek design, with a compact and aerodynamic shape. It features a low center of gravity, which contributes to its excellent handling and nimble performance.
Throughout its production, the MR2 underwent several generations and updates. The first generation, produced from 1984 to 1989, featured pop-up headlights, a small turbocharged engine option, and a lightweight chassis. The second generation, manufactured from 1990 to 1999, had a more angular and aggressive design and offered more powerful engine options, including a turbocharged variant.
The third and final generation of the MR2, produced from 1999 to 2007, featured a more rounded and modern design, with updated technology and safety features. It was powered by a 1.8-liter inline-four engine, available in both naturally aspirated and supercharged versions.
Throughout its lifespan, the MR2 was praised for its precise and responsive handling, thanks to its mid-engine layout and balanced weight distribution. It was also known for its affordability and reliability, making it a popular choice among sportscar enthusiasts.
The Toyota MR2 has gained a loyal following among car enthusiasts for its combination of performance, affordability, and practicality. It is often considered a "driver's car" due to its engaging driving experience and relatively low cost of ownership.
2000 - 2003 Toyota MR2 Price Range
The price range of 2000 - 2003 Toyota MR2 based on Toyota MR2 listings for sale on Ace1Auto website is: $6,500 – $23,987. This range is based on the dealer prices and MSRP of new and used Toyota MR2 models from various trim levels, colors, and options. The average price of a Toyota MR2 near you is $13,111. The Toyota MR2 is a two-seater, mid-engine sports car that was produced from 1984 to 2007.
2000 - 2003 Toyota MR2 Price Range: $6,500 to $23,987
Explore 2000 - 2003 Toyota MR2 listed for sale near you on Ace1Auto.
Models, Generations, Redesigns
The Toyota MR2 is a sports car that was produced by Toyota from 1984 to 2007. Throughout its production run, the MR2 went through three generations and received a few redesigns.
First Generation (1984-1989):
- The first generation MR2, also known as the AW11, was a small, lightweight sports car with a mid-engine layout.
- It had a "cheese wedge" design, with distinctive angular lines and pop-up headlights.
- The first generation MR2 came with a 1.6-liter inline-four engine, producing around 112 horsepower.
- It was available with a 5-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic transmission.
Second Generation (1990-1999):
- The second generation MR2, known as the SW20, featured a more rounded and aerodynamic design compared to its predecessor.
- It had a larger 2.0-liter inline-four engine, which produced around 138 horsepower in the naturally aspirated version and up to 200 horsepower in the turbocharged version.
- The second generation MR2 came with either a 5-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic transmission.
- The mid-engine layout provided excellent handling and a balanced driving experience.
Third Generation (2000-2007):
- The third generation MR2, also known as the ZZW30, had a complete redesign from its predecessor.
- It featured a more modern and curvier design, with a long hood and short rear end.
- The third generation MR2 was smaller and lighter than the previous generations, making it even more agile and nimble on the road.
- It came with a 1.8-liter inline-four engine, producing around 138 horsepower in the naturally aspirated version and up to 189 horsepower in the supercharged version.
- The third generation MR2 was only available with a sequential manual transmission (SMT) or a 6-speed manual transmission.
- Throughout its production run, the MR2 received a few redesigns to update its styling and improve its performance.
- In 1994, the MR2 received a facelift, which included new headlights, revised bumpers, and interior upgrades.
- The third generation MR2 received minor updates in 2002 and 2003, including new headlights, taillights, and improved suspension tuning.
Overall, the Toyota MR2 went through three generations and received several redesigns during its production run. It evolved from a small and angular sports car to a more rounded and modern-looking vehicle, while maintaining its mid-engine layout and sporty characteristics.
Toyota MR2 Price Range By Years
Toyota MR2 Gallery
Engine, Transmission, and Performance
The Toyota MR2 is a sports car that was produced from 1984 to 2007. It was available in various generations, each with different engine options and performance characteristics. Here is an overview of the engine, transmission, and performance of different MR2 models:
First generation (1984-1989):
- The first-generation MR2 was powered by a mid-mounted 1.6-liter inline-four engine.
- It was available in two versions: naturally aspirated and supercharged.
- The naturally aspirated engine produced 112 horsepower and 97 lb-ft of torque.
- The supercharged engine, also known as the "MR2 SC," produced 145 horsepower and 140 lb-ft of torque.
- The first-generation MR2 came with a standard five-speed manual transmission, but a four-speed automatic transmission was also available as an option.
Second generation (1990-1999):
- The second-generation MR2, also known as the "MR2 Turbo," featured a more powerful 2.0-liter inline-four engine.
- The turbocharged engine produced 200 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque.
- The second-generation MR2 came with a five-speed manual transmission as standard, but a four-speed automatic transmission was also available as an option.
Third generation (1999-2007):
- The third-generation MR2, known as the "MR-S" or "MR2 Spyder," featured a smaller 1.8-liter inline-four engine.
- The naturally aspirated engine produced 138 horsepower and 127 lb-ft of torque.
- The third-generation MR2 came with a standard five-speed manual transmission, but a six-speed sequential manual transmission (SMT) was introduced in 2002 as an option.
- The SMT allowed for clutchless manual shifting, similar to a paddle-shift system.
- The third-generation MR2 had a lighter and more nimble chassis, which contributed to its agile handling characteristics.
Overall, the Toyota MR2 offered a variety of engine, transmission, and performance options throughout its production years. The second-generation MR2 Turbo is the most powerful and fastest version, thanks to its turbocharged engine. However, all MR2 models are known for their sporty and fun-to-drive nature, with the mid-mounted engine layout providing excellent weight balance and handling characteristics.
Fuel Economy, True MPG
The fuel economy of a Toyota MR2 varies depending on the year and engine size.
For the second generation MR2 (1991-1995) with a 2.2L engine, the estimated MPG is around 19 city and 26 highway.
For the third generation MR2 (2000-2005) with a 1.8L engine, the estimated MPG is around 23 city and 29 highway.
It's important to note that these are just estimated values and actual fuel economy may vary depending on driving conditions and habits.
Interior, Exterior, Comfort
The interior of the Toyota MR2 is sporty and driver-focused. It features supportive bucket seats that provide excellent lateral support during spirited driving. The dashboard layout is simple and intuitive, with controls that are easily accessible and well-placed. The steering wheel is small and sporty, and the instrument cluster is clear and easy to read.
The exterior design of the Toyota MR2 is sleek and aerodynamic, with a low and wide stance that gives it a sporty and aggressive look. The body lines are smooth and flowing, and the sharp edges and aggressive styling cues give it a distinctive and modern appearance. The MR2 also features a removable T-bar roof on some models, adding to its versatility and open-air driving experience.
In terms of comfort, the Toyota MR2 offers a surprisingly spacious and comfortable interior considering its compact size. The seats are supportive and comfortable, with ample headroom and legroom for the driver and passenger. The suspension is well-tuned, providing a smooth and comfortable ride, even over rough roads. The cabin is also well-insulated from outside noise, providing a quiet and pleasant driving experience.
Overall, the Toyota MR2 offers a sporty and comfortable interior, a sleek and aggressive exterior design, and a comfortable and enjoyable driving experience. It is a great option for those looking for a fun and affordable sports car.
Infotainment and Connectivity
The Toyota MR2 is a two-seater sports car that was produced by Toyota from 1984 to 2007. While the earlier models did not come with advanced connectivity features, the later models had some infotainment and connectivity options.
Infotainment System: The 2000-2007 models of the MR2 came equipped with a standard AM/FM radio and CD player. Some of the higher trim levels also had options for a cassette player, satellite radio, or a 6-disc CD changer. The controls for the infotainment system were typically located on the center console, within easy reach of the driver.
Connectivity Options: Bluetooth: Some of the later models of the MR2 had Bluetooth connectivity, allowing drivers to pair their smartphones to the car's audio system for hands-free calling and audio streaming.
Auxiliary Input: Many MR2 models also had an auxiliary input jack, which allowed drivers to connect external devices such as MP3 players or smartphones to the car's audio system.
Navigation System: Some higher trim levels of the MR2 came with an optional navigation system. This system provided turn-by-turn directions and had the ability to display maps and satellite imagery on a built-in screen.
USB Ports: Some models of the MR2 had USB ports, which allowed drivers to connect their smartphones or other USB devices to the car's audio system for playback of music or other media.
While the MR2's infotainment and connectivity features may not be as advanced as what is found in modern sports cars, they still offered a range of options to enhance the driving experience and keep drivers connected on the road.
Safety and Driver-Assistance Features
The Toyota MR2 is a compact and sporty two-seater car that offers a thrilling driving experience. Although safety features may vary depending on the specific model and year, here are some common safety and driver-assistance features that can be found in the Toyota MR2:
Dual Front Airbags: The MR2 typically comes equipped with front airbags for the driver and front passenger. These airbags are designed to deploy in the event of a collision to provide additional protection for the occupants.
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS): ABS is a safety feature that helps prevent the wheels from locking up during sudden braking. This allows the driver to maintain control of the vehicle while braking and reduces the risk of skidding or losing control.
Electronic Stability Control (ESC): ESC is a system that helps maintain the stability of the vehicle by automatically applying brakes to individual wheels and adjusting engine power if it detects a loss of traction or control. This feature can help prevent skidding and improve handling in challenging driving conditions.
Traction Control System (TCS): TCS works in conjunction with the ESC system to prevent wheel spin and loss of traction. It automatically modulates the throttle and applies brakes to the wheels that are spinning to help maintain control and stability.
Brake Assist (BA): Brake Assist is a system that detects emergency braking situations and automatically applies maximum braking force to help reduce stopping distance. It provides additional braking power to ensure quick and effective stopping in an emergency.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS): The TPMS monitors the air pressure in the tires and alerts the driver if the pressure drops below the recommended level. This helps prevent tire blowouts and improves fuel efficiency and handling.
These are some of the common safety and driver-assistance features that can be found in the Toyota MR2. It's important to note that the availability of these features may vary depending on the specific model and year of the vehicle.
Toyota ConvertiblesView All
Toyota MR2 for saleView all
Cars & Trucks Reviews
Unlock the best Cars & Trucks Reviews: expert insights, trends, and top-rated models. Make informed decisions and find your perfect vehicle. Stay ahead in the automotive world.