1998 GMC Safari
The GMC Safari is a mid-sized van that was produced by General Motors from 1985 to 2005. It was primarily designed for passenger transportation and was sold as both a cargo van and a passenger van.
The Safari was based on the same platform as the Chevrolet Astro and featured a similar boxy shape with a high roofline. It was available in two wheelbase lengths, with seating capacity ranging from 5 to 8 passengers.
Under the hood, the Safari came with a range of engine options throughout its production years. Initially, it was equipped with a 2.5-liter inline-four engine, but later models offered more powerful V6 engines, including a 4.3-liter V6.
The interior of the Safari was relatively basic, with cloth seats and simple controls. However, it offered a decent amount of space for both passengers and cargo. The rear seats could be removed or folded down to create a larger cargo area.
In terms of performance, the Safari was not particularly known for its speed or agility. The larger V6 engines offered decent power, but the van's size and weight limited its overall performance. It had a smooth and comfortable ride, but it was not known for its fuel efficiency.
The Safari also had some notable safety features for its time, including anti-lock brakes and optional driver-side airbags. However, it did not come with as many advanced safety features as more modern vans.
Overall, the GMC Safari was a reliable and practical van that was popular for both commercial and personal use. Its spacious interior and versatility made it a popular choice for families and businesses in need of a capable and dependable vehicle. However, its outdated design and lack of modern features make it less attractive compared to more recent van models.
1998 GMC Safari Price Range
The price range of 1998 GMC Safari based on GMC Safari listings for sale on Ace1Auto website is: $12,950 – $12,950. This range is based on the dealer prices and MSRP of new and used GMC Safari models from various trim levels, colors, and options. The average price of a GMC Safari near you is $12,950. The GMC Safari is a midsize van with seating for up to 8 passengers and is known for its durability and versatility.
1998 GMC Safari Price Range: $12,950 to $12,950
Explore 1998 GMC Safari listed for sale near you on Ace1Auto.
Models, Generations, Redesigns
GMC Safari is a line of full-size vans manufactured by General Motors. Over the years, there have been several generations and redesigns of the GMC Safari. Here is a breakdown of the models and major changes:
First Generation (1985-1994):
- The first-generation GMC Safari was introduced in 1985.
- It featured a boxy, utilitarian design with seating for up to 8 passengers.
- It was offered with a variety of engine options, including a 2.5L four-cylinder and a 4.3L V6.
- Initially, it came with rear-wheel drive, but all-wheel drive became an option in later years.
- The first-generation Safari received minor updates and tweaks throughout its production run.
Second Generation (1995-2005):
- The second-generation GMC Safari was released in 1995.
- It featured a more rounded and aerodynamic design compared to its predecessor.
- The interior was redesigned with improved comfort and convenience features.
- Engine options remained similar to the first generation, with the addition of a 4.3L V6 Vortec engine.
- In 2003, the Safari received a facelift with updated styling and improved safety features.
Third Generation/Redesign (never released):
- General Motors planned to introduce a redesigned GMC Safari for the 2006 model year.
- The third-generation Safari was supposed to feature a completely new design with updated technology and modern styling.
- However, due to declining sales and the rising popularity of crossover SUVs, General Motors decided to discontinue the Safari line in 2005.
- The production facility that built the Safari was converted to produce other vehicles, and no new designs were released.
Overall, the GMC Safari underwent two major generations and received minor updates throughout its production run. However, a planned redesign for the third generation never came to fruition before the line was discontinued.
GMC Safari Price Range By Years
Engine, Transmission, and Performance
The GMC Safari was available with two engine options during its production years. The base engine was a 4.3-liter V6 engine, which produced 190 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque. The other engine option was a 4.3-liter V6 engine with upgraded fuel injection, which produced 200 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque. Both engines were mated to a four-speed automatic transmission.
In terms of performance, the GMC Safari was not a particularly quick or sporty vehicle. It was designed primarily for carrying passengers and cargo, rather than for high-performance driving. However, it offered a comfortable and capable ride, with enough power to handle most everyday driving situations.
The GMC Safari also had a towing capacity of up to 5,500 pounds, which made it a good option for those needing to tow trailers or other heavy loads.
Overall, the performance of the GMC Safari was respectable for its class and purpose, but it was not a standout in terms of speed or power.
Fuel Economy, True MPG
The average fuel economy, MPG, of a GMC Safari is around 15 miles per gallon. However, it may vary depending on factors such as driving conditions, maintenance, and driving habits.
Interior, Exterior, Comfort
The GMC Safari is a multi-purpose vehicle that offers both practicality and comfort. Here are some key features of the interior, exterior, and comfort of the GMC Safari:
- Spacious cabin: The Safari has a large and roomy interior, making it comfortable for passengers and ideal for hauling cargo.
- Seating capacity: The Safari can seat up to eight passengers, making it a great choice for families or groups.
- Versatile seating arrangements: The rear seats can be folded or removed, allowing for flexible cargo space.
- Dashboard layout: The Safari features a simple and functional dashboard layout, making it easy to use and navigate.
- Storage compartments: There are numerous storage compartments throughout the cabin, providing convenient space for smaller items.
- Durability: The Safari is built on a sturdy and reliable chassis, ensuring durability and longevity.
- Roof rack: The Safari comes equipped with a roof rack, allowing for additional storage space for items such as bicycles or luggage.
- Sliding side doors: The Safari features sliding side doors, making it easy for passengers to enter and exit the vehicle, especially in tight parking spaces.
- Comfortable seating: The Safari offers comfortable and supportive seats, ensuring a pleasant driving experience even on long trips.
- Climate control: The Safari comes with climate control features, allowing passengers to adjust the temperature in the cabin to their desired level of comfort.
- Noise insulation: The Safari is designed with noise insulation materials, reducing road and engine noise for a quieter cabin.
- Smooth ride: The Safari's suspension system is designed to provide a smooth and comfortable ride, even on rough or bumpy roads.
Overall, the GMC Safari offers a comfortable and practical interior, a durable and functional exterior, and a comfortable driving experience. It is a versatile vehicle that can be used for both everyday commuting and hauling cargo.
Infotainment and Connectivity
The GMC Safari is a versatile and capable vehicle that offers a range of infotainment and connectivity features to keep you connected and entertained on the road.
One of the key features of the GMC Safari is its infotainment system. The Safari comes equipped with a standard 8-inch infotainment touchscreen display, which allows you to easily access your favorite entertainment and navigation apps. The system supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so you can seamlessly connect your smartphone and access your favorite apps, music, and contacts.
In addition to smartphone integration, the GMC Safari also offers Bluetooth connectivity, so you can easily make hands-free calls and stream music wirelessly from your compatible device. The Safari also comes equipped with a USB port, allowing you to connect and charge your devices while on the go.
For those who enjoy a premium sound experience, the GMC Safari offers an available Bose premium audio system. This system features seven speakers strategically placed throughout the cabin, providing clear and immersive sound for all passengers to enjoy.
In terms of connectivity, the GMC Safari offers available built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capability, so you can stay connected to the internet wherever you go. This feature allows you to connect multiple devices to the hotspot, so passengers can stream videos, browse the web, and stay connected to their favorite social media platforms.
Overall, the GMC Safari offers a range of infotainment and connectivity features to keep you connected and entertained on the road. Whether you're streaming music, making hands-free calls, or accessing your favorite apps, the Safari provides a connected and enjoyable driving experience.
Safety and Driver-Assistance Features
The GMC Safari is not known for its extensive safety features, as it was primarily marketed as a commercial passenger van rather than a family vehicle. However, there are a few safety and driver-assistance features that were available on some models.
Anti-lock Brakes (ABS): ABS helps to prevent the wheels from locking up during hard braking, improving the driver's ability to steer and avoid obstacles.
Traction Control: This feature helps to optimize traction on slippery or uneven road surfaces by automatically adjusting the engine power and brake pressure to prevent wheel spin.
Daytime Running Lights: The Safari may be equipped with daytime running lights, which automatically turn on when the engine is running and improve the vehicle's visibility to other drivers.
Dual Front Airbags: The Safari typically features dual front airbags for the driver and front passenger, providing some protection in the event of a collision.
Rearview Mirror: Some models may have an electrochromic rearview mirror with an integrated compass and temperature display, allowing the driver to monitor their surroundings.
Parking Sensors: Some Safari models may be equipped with rear parking sensors, which detect obstacles behind the vehicle and provide audible warnings to the driver to prevent collisions when parking.
It's important to note that these features may not be available on all GMC Safari models, and some may require additional optional packages or trim levels. Additionally, the Safari does not offer advanced safety features such as lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, or automatic emergency braking, as these technologies were not commonly found on vehicles of its era.
GMC Van/MinivansView All
Cars & Trucks Reviews
Unlock the best Cars & Trucks Reviews: expert insights, trends, and top-rated models. Make informed decisions and find your perfect vehicle. Stay ahead in the automotive world.